Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Late Night Thought...

I am in school again, I think I can be the 'forever student' your teachers and parents warned you about...however I am loving learning about being a teacher. Having Jack completely changed my views of the world and what I "wanted to do when I grow up" thoughts...having a child, made me 'grow up' in some ways... :)
Anyway, I feel so blessed to be able to go back to school with the support of my wonderful husband, son and family. I couldn't do it without them. In one of our Saturday classes, our teacher, Dr. Best told us about this poem/saying and I cried. (So if you don't want to read the rest of this...go to the poem! It's worth it, I promise!)
Anyway, I know this was for a classroom, but being a Mother, I know that I make the weather in my home. If I am feeling yucky, or just out of it, it reflects on my face, my attitude and even in my communication skills...I think that many times, I take for granted the time I have with Jack and may not always be the "best Mom", but I'm trying. I try everyday to tell my son and husband how much I love them and show them. I know this is a random/all-over-the-place blog, but I just wanted to share how this little saying affected me. Even if you don't have a family or interact with children on a daily basis, remember you could be the only smile that someone may see in their day. Remember YOU make the weather.

I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or deescalated and a child humanized or dehumanized. -H. Ginott

No comments:

Labels